June 10, 2013

A Small Dinner for One, Please

Been cooking these days. Dinner only. For breakfast, the most important meal of the day, I have a disciplinary small serving of bran cereal with milk every morning (With militarist discipline, yes). Lunch, I grab a roti (Indian flat bread) or two with a small cup of dal (lentil soup)... sometimes with a dash of a random Indian side dish (I call this indulging, and I ashamed of it). 



the Breakfast


Now, Dinner is a whole different game. This meal, I do make myself, like a robot who can fend for himself. I love green peas. I add green peas to most my my culinary misadventures. Here's some filler text, describing how awesome green peas are! :

Whole peas need to be soaked in cold water for at least eight hours before cooking, while split peas do not need this extra preparation. To prepare peas, place the legumes in a saucepan using three cups of fresh water for each cup of peas. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover. Whole peas generally take about an hour to become tender while split peas only take about 30 minutes. Foam may form during the first 15 minutes of cooking, which can simply be skimmed off. LINK

I usually, just boil some mixed frozen veg (contains carrots, beans, cauliflower and obviously, green peas) in a small tsp of olive oil (Xtra virgin, duh!) and some random seasoning (salt, pepper, mystery Indian spice mix). Drain and served with dressings that I find in the local super market.

Sometimes, if I'm too lazy, or far too guilty of my indulgence during lunch, I go for a quick recipe - A small bowl of shredded toast and a diced tomato, drenched in yogurt, with a dash of pickle for taste (Usually garlic or prawn - I <3 Goan Prawn Pickle! - Goa, A state in India). Yup, quite humble.

I poached chicken too... though I need to work on this. I scramble eggs as well, when I feel peckish.

Scrambled Eggs with assorted veggies

Tomatoes, Peas, beans and Yogurt!

Beans Galore - French Salad Dressing

Poached Chicken with boiled mushrooms and Spinach

Cabbage Mush - Yes, I am calling it that. Hmph!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You got something to say? Wait! I need to get my microphone array online.